Thursday, December 17, 2009

Understanding some energy & cost saving options

The MRJs Jesse Buchanan wrote a piece on Cheshire trying to get involved in an energy grant program. The program has many facets and I began explaining it here and here, but others would be better at explaining it I'm sure. So I've begun organizing another energy forum, hopefully to be televised.

If this happens, it won't happen until March (when the grant approvals are scheduled for approval or rejection). But I figured I should get started trying to organize it now.

One other possible topic for discussion would be the proposed natural gas pipeline from the LNG storage facility in Waterbury to the regulator in Wallingford.* I'm hoping that people along the line are given the option to attach. I figure anyone on heating oil could then use this as alternative to getting left out in the cold, if heating fuel skyrockets up from $3/gallon.

Anyway, just trying to provide ideas for reducing the cost of living in Cheshire.

Tim White

* My understanding is that the Wallingford regulator is part of the 36" transcontinental Tennessee pipeline. And obviously, the proposed 16" Waterbury / Wallingford pipeline is much smaller.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This line will have too much pressure to supply homes. Every house hooked up will look like a roman candle.

Anonymous said...

There is a gas pipeline at the other end of this neighborhood. There is no gas service available in this neighborhood either. Most of the residents need to heat with oil and a few use propane.

Many of us would like to have natural gas service. Oil and propane prices from some of the local suppliers has been high while service many times has been expensive and poor. Everyone will no doubt remember how F&S Oil and their business partners just hosed everyone they dealt with too.

How about making the gas transmission companies who profit by using our land also provide residents in neighborhoods near these pipe lines with natural gas service too.

tim white said...

This line will have too much pressure to supply homes.

I've been told differently.

There is a gas pipeline at the other end of this neighborhood.

What neighborhood?

tim white said...

provide residents in neighborhoods near these pipe lines with natural gas service too

That's where I'm hoping to eventually go with this. But:

1) costs are high. I understand NG pipeline can be in the range of $2,000,000 / mile or $375 / foot; and

2) I don't wanna go too fast too quick. The Wtby / Wlgfrd pipeline has not even been approved yet.

But I recognize your concerns. I've heard from other residents. And I use oil myself.

Anonymous said...

"This line will have too much pressure to supply homes. Every house hooked up will look like a roman candle."

That's not the way it works. Just like electric power is stepped down, regulators step the pressure down to the proper pressure for houses.