Thursday, October 30, 2008

Referenda mailer process

Yesterday I was wondering why I had not yet received the mailer regarding next Tuesday's referenda. So I sent an email to the Town Manager to get an understanding of the process. Here is his timely and succinct response:

By state statute, the Town Clerk is responsible for preparing and distributing the explanatory text. As a practical matter, the Registrars run the mailing labels for all voting households. Once the Town Clerk forwards the final explanatory text document to us, our office oversees the printing, the affixing of labels by Senior Center volunteers, and the delivery of the boxes of texts to the Post Office for bulk rate mailing. This year’s explanatory text was brought to the Post Office for bulk mailing on October 24, 2008.

I'm glad to hear about the Town using volunteers to make stuff happen. And I thank both the volunteers for their help and the Town Manager for his prompt response to my question.

Tim White

No comments: