Saturday, October 11, 2008

New sewer consultant

I don't recall if I mentioned this before, but there was some really good news revisited in the MRJs weekly newspaper - The Cheshire Post.

After several years of efforts, largely driven by Councilwoman Esty and the Town Manager, the WPCA finally sent out a consulting project to bid.

My understanding is that while the Town had been issuing millions of dollars of consulting contracts to one particular vendor, they never bid on anything. The WPCA consistently issued contracts to that vendor without any real competition.

I can't fathom why projects weren't bid. It disgusted me, but I was always told that the WPCA is similar to the BOE... the Council should mind its own business.

Nonetheless, this week's Cheshire Post has an article about a WPCA contract being awarded to a new consultant.

But to be clear... I didn't hear of anything terribly wrong with the long-time vendor. I'm just a believer that, at minimum, you need to keep people / organizations on their toes. And the goal of getting the WPCA to issue an RFP was really my goal. It was something long overdue. And (aside from the seven members of the WPCA) much of the credit for getting the WPCA to issue an RFP goes to Elizabeth and the TM.

Tim White

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who was the old consultant?