Monday, October 20, 2008

Defined pension plans - benefits vs contributions

The Council's Personnel Committee is scheduled to meet:

Tuesday, October 21, 7:30pm

The topic of discussion is:

Defined benefits and defined contribution pension plans, possible executive session.

I'm not sure why there would need to be an executive session or why there's much discussion. I'm fairly certain this topic began with my request at the June 24 Council meeting.

My request was simple - the Council should immediately* determine if new non-union hires should be offered a defined benefit plan. I'm of the opinion that the option should no longer be offered.

But the majority, under the "leadership" of Councilman Altieri's Personnel Committee have no interest in this discussion because they're afraid it may upset their boss.

Anyway, I don't expect this conversation to be related to my initial question... even though it'll be billed that way.

After all, I asked for a five year trend line of employee grievances. And what were we told?

These aren't the droids you're looking for. The numerical value of the grievances doesn’t mean anything,” explained staff.

Asking questions does seem somewhat fruitless with this Council majority.

Tim White

* immediately = within a week or two, though I accepted a "summer-deadline" which was obviously ignored in a typically passive-aggressive way, if you ask me.

No comments: