Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Dodd cites "ethics inquiry" for delay

From the Courant's Mark Pazniokas:

Sen. Christopher J. Dodd said today he is waiting for the conclusion of a Senate ethics inquiry before he releases documents related to two mortgages he received from Countrywide Financial.

This excuse is nonsense. He's not facing a court of law. He's facing a court of his buddies in the US Senate... and the court of public opinion.

He should just release the documents, since he promised that he would release them. Personally though, my expectations are so low for our elected officials... a sweetheart mortgage deal is the least of my concerns.

I want Senator Dodd to explain what he was doing for the past two years as the financial meltdown unfolded.

And here's my brief history of the financial meltdown that I mentioned on August 30 of this year...

1) the bad loans continued getting worse and worse through May of 2007... with the upcoming crop of not-yet-bellyup loans beginning to be issued in early 2006. And

2) with 30 years on the job, I say that Dodd's culpability began on Election Day in November 2006. So he had a good six months in which he took no appropriate action... then did nothing for another year.


I think it's more important for Dodd to answer questions about his Chairmanship, than about any sweetheart mortgage deal that he may (or may not) have gotten.

Tim White

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whether or not Dodd broke any rule of the Senate, he has betrayed our trust by receiving favors from the very banks he was supposed to regulate. The result is the present mess.

Dodd has grown too comfortable after too many years in office. He needs to GO.

Anonymous said...

Did you see the job the Cheshire Herald did on Dodd...I don;t think they have ever been so ripped at a public official

Anonymous said...

I saw it... but what about the editorial about me last November?

Oh wait... that editorial was endorsement of my opponent and how well she'd "get along" with staff... yeah... that had nothing to do with me... it was just an endorsement of my opponent (who is quite nice IMO).

It was quite a job on Dodd... fair though I thought.