Thursday, May 29, 2008

Explaining my bubble concerns

The Bubble Study Committee met tonight. Anybody get to watch it on TV? If Henry Chase didn't give you a good shot of the audience, I'd estimate there were around 40 to 50 people there tonight... generally they were users who were supporting a year round facility... with most people seeming to want a permanent structure of some sort... though actual costs were not being discussed.

I think I may have surprised a few people tonight by not demanding a summer-only facility.

I explained that I have two main concerns... the financial costs and energy consumption. And we must try to address those things... along with the reality that the 1996 referendum question:
could lead perfectly reasonable people to conclude that that the pool would be self-sustaining.

Btw, I'm glad I took the time to go into the Town Clerk's office and find this referendum. I was getting tired of listening to people claim that no one ever said the pool would be self-sustaining.

And yes... I agree... by my reading of this referendum question... no one ever promised that the pool would be self-sustaining. But the intention was clear. I also find such claims to be interesting because it's a perfect example of how some people can, at times, be honest... yet tell something other than the truth, the whole truth and nothing, but the truth.

Tim White

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There it is in black and white, the referendum we all voted for.
It is "projected to be fully funded by user fees".

12 years later we ar now paying close to a half million dollars.

I don't care what anyone says, that is as clear as anything. If they try to say it wasn't intended then we need to know who is writing these referendums. It is extremely clear to the common layman.

Now we need to fix the problem!

Anonymous said...

It's like everything else. Low ball the initial price and then the consumer is on the hook once he buys the item.

Remember this my friends:
THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH

Anonymous said...

Yikes...who could have predicted the price of energy being what it is today? But, it is what it is so we need to go from here. solar heating,anyone?

Anonymous said...

There is a solution, we just need to find it. This is especially true with solving the energy issue once and for all. It will take time and talent, but will undoubtedly be worth it in the end.

Anonymous said...

Bowman elluded to the pool numbers as just being "estimates". I hope when it comes to the Norton Boiler Project that he sharpens his pencil a little more and reduces, rather than increases, the costs to the town. Is his bid price just an estimate too?
Watch out!