Friday, March 16, 2007

Citing references

Recently, based on comments alone, there's obviously been an increase in activity here on the blog. I believe that with that increased activity comes increased responsibility, particularly in relation to charges lodged at people. In fact, just yesterday I deleted a comment that was a quote attributed to a Councilman.

So in an effort to increase accountability and transparency, earlier today I asked the Town Manager to keep Council meeting minutes on the town website for a greater period of time. (Depending on network capacity and manhours necessary, I see no reason why we shouldn't add the past five years of Council meetings.) My goal is simple... if you're going to quote a Council member of something, then do some research and substantiate your charges.

Another thought I had... if you happen to have old meetings on tape, you ought to be able to upload the video to youtube and then just add the link here. Seriously, if you say "Councilman X is a jerk," that's an opinion. But to start quoting someone (without reference) is, IMHO, going too far.

And as always, my offer stands... if you'd like to write your own front page post, I'd be happy to post it. .. does anyone out there keep up on the schools more than I do? I feel like I should do more on the schools and BOE, but simply don't have the time to attend their meetings.

Tim White

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tim,
Your blog is a little like the town pool. Your stuck with it...so keep up the good work of giving us fodder and leave your guests to opine.