Sunday, March 18, 2007

Perks for legislators

Ever wonder about the “perks” of being a state legislator? The WRA has a nice spread today, detailing a lot of the perks (by Paul Hughes).

“It is the health benefits that are particularly advantageous for former legislators. The state pays 100 percent of the cost of certain medical plans; other choices require retirees to pay part of the premium cost.”

State legislators’ Pension payments now total $506,380, whereas health care for retired legislators and qualified dependents costs more than $1 million.”

Legislators “who retired after (1997) can select from among several plans with varying restrictions and premium co-payments required. They pay approximately $11 to $32 a month for health insurance, depending on the plan and the number of people covered.”

The article also mentions the type of pension plans offered to all state employees, including legislators. “There are three different state retirement plans: Tier I, Tier II and Tier IIA. All are defined-benefit plans.” I’d very much like to change from defined benefit plans to defined contribution plans. The main reason I think we should do this is because it would take the uncertainty away from taxpayer. That’s the reason that I voted against the town union contracts last fall.

Tim White
Town Council, 4th District

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I know why you wanted to win last fall.

Tim White said...

huh? Then why would I mention that I opposed DB plans at the local level, if my goal was to get myself a DB plan at the state level?

If I were currently serving in Hartford, one of my top priorities would be getting the state's fiscal house in order. And that would include moving away from DB plans and getting our liabilities (debt & postretirement bene's) in order.

redtown said...

Tim, I know why you wanted to win last fall--to clean up this mess in Hartford! When you showed up on my doorstep in last year, I asked you about these extravagent benefits for legislators, and you said that they should have to pay the same as in the private sector. I'm glad you're still addressing this abuse by the legislature.