Monday, March 12, 2007

ETR tomorrow

I went to the ND public hearing tonight. I was fortunate enough to have a chance to speak with a number of people (not Council members) who have been advocating for the tax freeze. Based on those conversations (and feedback from others), I'm feeling supportive of eliminating the lien, but averse to adopting a freeze.

I'd like to focus on the tax credits for those most in need. And that would not necessarily include the income bracket that is being proposed this year as an additional bracket.

As well, I'd like to focus on the spending side... not the tax side. If we hold down the spending, the taxes are lower for everyone.

Tim White
Town Council, Budget Committee

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim - We love you!!!!

Anonymous said...

Tim...good move on the lien...I'm not 100% on board with this but I do see the need for relief for some of these folks...I tend to lean towards lower end of income scale(single 25k-30k...married up to 40ish).....I dont agree with the lien aspect...if we are going to give them a break..make it a real break.....a 40ish Republican tax payer with kid in school who feels for the seniors...

Tim White said...

Breach, thanks. But while I'll probably vote against the lien, I'll also probably vote against the tax freeze altogether.

I'd prefer to use the credits over the freeze.

From everything I've read, tax credits are better policy than a tax freeze.

Anonymous said...

Tim - Did the Republicans really say that the program was too expensive two years ago?

Tim White said...

3:11 dunno. But council meeting minutes are all on record in the town hall.

Anonymous said...

According to a handout from the Town Manager, elderly tax relief increased from $286K in 2003 to $356K in 2005. During that period, tax credits increased, the overall program cap of $300K was removed, and the # of participants grew to approx. 510. From 2005 to 2006, the aggregate tax relief grew by 1K to a total of $357K. There was also a net decline of 35 families in the elderly relief program. Please get your facts straight.

Anonymous said...

Fact is David Schrumm said that the program cost too much and should not be expanded. Now that he "needs" the seniors he votes for it. That is FACT.

Anonymous said...

9:44 Please substantiate your supposed facts by referencing the specific meeting date so the minutes could be checked.