Thursday, March 08, 2007

Some thoughts on ETR

It's a bit late and I am about to fall asleep, but wanted to share a few of my thoughts on the proposed ETR as several people asked about it today.

It seems as though many components of the program have widespread, bipartisan support. However, not all aspects have such support.

The liens (tax freeze) and, possibly, the new top income bracket (tax credits) may not have such support.

My thoughts on those two items:

The tax credits are better tax policy than the tax freeze. (I can't make the point right now... too tired.) So my initial instinct was to prefer enhancing the tax credits... such as increasing the credits for low income households.

However, if we go with the proposal as it stands, then it may make more sense to prefer the tax freeze as it is better public policy. By that I mean, the tax freeze is helping the lower income households than some of those that would be helped by the tax credits.

Furthermore, if a tax freeze is implemented, it wouldn't make much sense to me to include a lien. After all, we already have a deferral program in place. So what would be the purpose of the freeze?

Truth is... I'm really tired, but the bottom line to me is that someone who makes only $30,000/yr is not wealthy. And I'm happy to help people who are most in need.

Tim White
Town Council, Budget Committee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim we all love you.

Anonymous said...

Tim White for President