Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Ron Paul for President (part I)

Ronald Ernest “Ron” Paul (born 20 August 1935) is a 10th-term Congressman, medical doctor (M.D.), and a 2008 presidential candidate from the U.S. state of Texas. As a Republican, he has represented Texas's 14th congressional district in the U.S. House of Representatives since 1997, and had previously served as the representative from Texas's 22nd district in 1976 and from 1979 to 1985. (wikipedia.com)

Tim White

p.s. Ron Paul is currently THE most searched item on Technorati... watch out... here he comes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm no fan of the right-wing world view, but I must say that I don't think the Republican Party realizes how great of an influence libertarian thought is going to have on their policies in the future.

As the neocons are pushed back into the margins where they belong, the actual conservatives in the party are going to flourish. But, just as they have somehow teamed up with religion on social issues, they're going to borrow economic moral authority from the libertarians. From Reagan on (who Ayn Rand loved until he unveiled his stance on abortion) there's been a push towards laissez faire capitalism.

I think that conservatives and right-leaning independents in the party that don't like what the neocons have done and don't line up behind the theocrats are going to find that libertarians have an appealing philosophical basis behind their push to privatize. I think that the real conservatives are going to be looking for a change and that'll lead them right into the libertarian slingshot, propelling them in a new direction that is a lot more consistent with their core values than they may have realized in the past.

This is just my gut feeling at this point, but the success of Ron Paul helps make the case. If I were a conservative and I finally heard a Republican candidate making some sense now and then (on Iraq, the patriot act), I'd rush to his campaign headquarters and pick up a yard sign.

That being said, I don't care for him one bit. :)