Saturday, August 22, 2009

Tales from the far side...

In some respects, government truly has lost any sense of reality. The San Francisco Chronicle reports on SFs "chronic inebriants." C.W. Nevius reports on one such SF resident:

Walters, who was decked out in a red, long-sleeve Spider-Man shirt, isn't homeless or broke. The 41-year-old happily shared his story with me. He sat up, pushed his blond bangs off his face, and blinked his striking blue eyes until his surroundings came into focus.

"I do get caught for drinking out here every day," he said affably. "I wish I had another beer right now."

He said he gets $953 a month in Supplemental Security Income for disabled and aged citizens and pays $650 a month for a hotel room in the Tenderloin under the city's Care Not Cash program.

With free meals available from local charities, that leaves $300 a month for booze. Walters says he doesn't do hard drugs, just pot. He just drinks, usually "40 ouncers," big, cheap bottles of beer.


I can't believe it's come to this.

Tim White

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Throw Obama's free health care on top and I may join him.