Thursday, January 24, 2008

Solid Waste meeting 1/24

The Solid Waste meeting was useful. And I made sure to draw attention to the fact that CTs trash-hauling industry is in upheaval... and as we consider new contracts... we're going to have to keep a watchful eye on the entire environment... not just going out to bid. I mean... Cheshire is currently operating under contracts that were put out to bid... but what does/did a bid mean in CT?

Matt Altieri kicked off the meeting with a discussion of bulky waste. Specifically, bulky waste pickup will happen this fall... but that is the end of the five year (3 pickup) contract. So the question on the table was "what happens in 2009 and beyond?" I think the direction is to return to an annual bulky waste pickup. I suggested that we could open up the transfer station a couple times per year and allow people to drop off stuff... free of charge.

Then we discussed insourcing "composting." And while the idea has merit, it would also come with costs. For instance... we currently compost leaves in Wolcott. So while we would save on some driving manhours and gas... we would also increase manhours in the composting process when we "turn" the compost. Anyway, for me, the highlight of this discussion came after I had pressed for identification of all costs prior to creating a new program... it was when Matt acknowledged my concerns and agreed that staff should identify "costs," then offered a caveat that they should also identify "benefits." It sure sounded as though he supported a "cost/benefit analysis" and that sounded good to me. Thanks Matt! Finally on composting is a philosophical issue... I think the composter we use in Wolcott is a private business. So one consideration for me... should government perform functions that are provided by private business? Generally-speaking... I don't think so.

And the meeting was wrapped up with a discussion on regular trash disposal and our waste disposal plant. But I'm going to bed soon, so a very brief history... the Town not only collects the trash (via a private hauler), but we also are part of a consortium (North Haven, Wallingford, Hamden, Meriden & Cheshire) that governs (not owns) a facility where we turn our "waste to energy." But that "governing capacity" ends in June 2010 and the town will need to take action by the end of 2008.... There are several options, including some with large hurdles (we could build a new facility, but siting could easily take years... would you want a trash facility as a neighbor?) and some with relatively low hurdles (the governing consortium has access to $34,000,000 that could be used to buy and renovate the facility). Bottom line... if we're to continue having our trash removed... we'll need to take some sort of action in the not-so-distant future.

Tim White
Town Council, Solid Waste Committee

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two options at minimum for the leaves are private contractor and by the Town. Do a cost/benefit analysis of each and the properly done the analysis will direct you to what makes financial sense. Then add in other concerns or projected benefits. The process will lead to the answer.

Anonymous said...

I think the bulky waste pickup should go back to an annual pickup. It's the least they could do.

Is it illegal to put your trash into another person's trash can? I got some jerk that must be too cheap to buy his own garbage can and he puts his trash into our garbage cans apparently early in the morning. I guess as I leave for work I'll have to stop and go through this guy's trash that he leaves at our house so I can hopefully find something that would identify him. Some people have a lot of nerve!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tim, I have to get over to town hall to pay my taxes and after watching the rerun on the new "fund policy" the dems put in place, I wondered if it was reasonable for me to deduct a few hundred bucks from my tax payment so I can "top off" my own reserves (if I can use the term Ms. Esty used). You know, I may have an emergency here - a flood, or big hike in utility bills, or some unforeseen disaster.
What do you think? Can I keep a little more of my own money, or should the town keep my money?

And as Ecke said, (go figure, before the policy was even voted on), "it's not set in stone..any people sitting on this council in the future can change the policy."
He even had a slip of the tongue using the word "excessive." If you recall he even once said, "the people in Cheshire love paying their taxes." (referring to the high collection rate.)
Is he for real??

Anonymous said...

9:24 I'll continue working to change the fund balance policy and it's associated excessive taxation. In the meantime, civil disobedience is an option. But I'd recommend paying the taxes until there are five people on the Council who fight for the taxpayer, not the rating agencies.

Anonymous said...

bill k... "french fries" were banned in America. We now have "freedom fries."

So has disappeared an American business mainstay, the "cost/benefit analysis." You must be looking for Cheshire's newly created "investment/revenue analysis?"

these aren't the droids you're looking for. move along.

Anonymous said...

Make sure the new solid waste trash man includes a stop at Town Hall to pick up all of the solid waste that resides there. They will need to make a second run on the second Tuesday night of each month for an additional heavy load.