Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Lifestyle center II

Tonight's Council meeting was good. I think it was very informative. I tried to convey many of your concerns, which I share. I think one major concern is:

Will tax revenues exceed the cost of services?

By services, I mean:

1) operational costs for sewers
2) capital costs for sewer plant upgrade, including possible pumping station
3) widening of roads (avoiding traffic congestion)
4) maintenance of roads
5) installing of stoplights
6) electric bill for stoplights
7) cost of increased staffing for police
8) cost of increased staffing for fire
9) cost to build new northend fire station
10) cost of additional teachers for kids in schools
11) etc.

Obviously, this list could go on and on. I believe that depending on just a few key factors, this could either be a boon to the grand list (and taxpayers) or we could take a major hit in taxes. I'm really not convinced one way or the other. And unfortunately, that's the way this is setup. Although as David Schrumm pointed out several times this evening, at least the Council now gets to opine. But that's about all we do.

Beyond taxes & services, there's also the general question:

Will this improve or hurt our "quality of life?"

I do believe that the majority of people in town would enjoy this. So that is another plus for me in supporting this.

Anyway, if you had a chance to watch the meeting (personally, if I were home tonight, I probably would've been watching the State of the Union), then I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on this project... now that you've heard from the developer.

I'm not yet 100% certain how I'll vote, but as I said during the meeting, I am expecting to support this. And as was said during the meeting, the Planning & Zoning can still do whatever they want, regardless of the Council's action (although the number supporting the proposed changes would increase from 5 to 6).

Tim White
Town Council, 4th District

NH Register, by Luther Turmelle
Waterbury Rep-Am, by Lauresha Xhihani

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

VOTE FOR IT TIM!!!!

adb said...

I am all for it, vote yes!

Anonymous said...

Yes tim yes

Anonymous said...

Yes tim yes

Anonymous said...

this is a worthy project Tim please vote yea

Anonymous said...

I didn't watch the meeting because I went to the boe budget meeting. They were looking for public input and some of us couldn't be in two places at one time. Too bad more attention wasn't paid to the conflicting scheduling of these important meetings. I'll watch it if it's rerun on channel 14.

Anonymous said...

Tim I am not conflicted and I think you should vote yes here-good project and good for our town.

Anonymous said...

The idea of retail development sounds like a good idea as long as the revenues from it will exceed the expenses. I'd rather see an outlet shopping center like Clinton Crossings rather than a bunch of upscale shops that are likely to be too expensive for many in town. And I definitely don't want any more residential development in that area.

Anonymous said...

Well this isn't the I 95 corridor. Let's just wait and see what gets approved. Who says that everyone wants upscale shops? The developer may want to put them in but it doesn't mean they'll last.

Anonymous said...

Set the feelings aside. Ask the only question that matters. Will the tax revenue pay for all of the infrastructure and capital budget bills? If the nswer is yes, then go for it. If the answer is the residential taxpayers will have to pony up for some of this, the answer is no.

Anonymous said...

Tim, will George W Schrumm and your Republican party oppose this?

It would fit well with the GOP. Opposing this will help them lose this fall.

adb said...

dying elephant....if you are paying attention Tim seems likely to support it as do the others, perhaps not Schrum, but it will get near unanimous support on the council I believe.

This town needs it, the council knows it, they will vote yes and the its up to planning and zoning...

Tim White said...

elephant... I assume you're talking about David Schrumm?

All I can say is this... I don't speak for David Schrumm and David does not speak for me... I hope neither you nor anyone else thinks that Mr. Schrumm speaks for me or vice versa.

As for me, I'm expecting to vote in favor of the project.

Anonymous said...

adb - I like Tim and trust him. I'd prefer he was more conservative, but he works hard and does a good job.

Tired of the GOP though. Especially tired of Schrumm and Bush. And there leading my party off the cliff.

Anonymous said...

dead elephant...I'm tired of the attack against Mr. Schrumm. Personal attacks don't belong on this blog. I'm sure Mr. Schrumm will ask plenty of questions, which is something we should expect from all councilors. Give the guy credit - he's a lot more knowlegable than some of those on the other side of the table. Besides, it's really up to P & Z as to what will happen.

Anonymous said...

11:04 - ok, but I am frustrated with our local Republicans. Who is the leader? Schrumm is too polarizing to be a leader.

Dems have Hall and Esty. But who is a leader for the Republicans?

Anonymous said...

Don't think that David S. is a great councilor because he asks questions. That shows that he is not prepared, most question have already been answered in committee, he is talking for the TV.

Anonymous said...

George W schumm likes to spend money on his projects and is a big spender not a fiscal conservative
tim w is more fc than schrumm
the dems are more likely to ask the questions that save money even if that means spending a few bucks\
that is how the business world does it
but george w has been out of touch for quite a while

adb said...

dying elephant, I couldnt agree with you more...I entirely trust Tim! And am disgusted with GOP leadership leading the party off the cliff....

Anonymous said...

Could support the Lifestyle Center without the residential component and as long as there is a buffer between it and the residential neighborhood adjacent to it in Plantsville. There is no positive to be gained by adding residential and the company admits it has never put in residential before--there is a reason why they haven't. Even if they make it 55+, the seniors will leave their 4 bedroom colonial to go there and new families with children will move into their old homes. Negative tax benefit. No residential and I think it will pass easily.

Anonymous said...

8:31 Say what you will about Mr. Schrumm, but his questions at least help the public understand a topic. Most of us don't go to the committee meetings. I believe he asks questions so that the public can better understand issues. But it doesn't matter what I say, there are those of you who will never support him.
My advice...if you don't have anything good to say (about him or any other person) don't say anything at all.

Anonymous said...

He is way less informed that everyone thinks. Alot of red hot air and very angry

Anonymous said...

Give it to me tim it is a homerun

Anonymous said...

anon 4:34 Give up already. You're the one sounding angry or like some resentful dem who is just trying to make cheap shots. Don't worry about what Mr. Schrumm is doing...worry about your own self. I hope the dems don't continue these "angry comments" into November. They'll surely lose if all they come out with is criticizm.