Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Green to Gold

Cheshire's own Dan Esty is featured in the current issue of Time Magazine.

As Gordon Gekko might say today, green is good, and behemoths like GE and DuPont are carving profits out of a worldwide green-business market worth more than $600 billion. "This is a watershed moment in the business community," says Daniel Esty, director of the Center for Environmental Law and Policy at Yale University and co-author of the book Green to Gold. "The environment has become a strategic issue. It's something every company must do to stay competitive." (by
Bryan Walsh)
I haven't read the book, but may pick it up. I'm not sure if I'd agree with everything in it, but I certainly agree with the basic premise. Heck, I'm proof-positive. I bought a hybrid in part because of the environment. (Of course, cost was the primary concern, but not the only concern.)

On a side note, I can't believe how many conservative Republicans mentioned (in a positive way) either Al Gore or his movie, An Inconvenient Truth, to me in just the past few weeks. Just yesterday I had a well-respected, life-long military, life-long Republican, Cheshire resident mention Al Gore to me. (And nooo... it wasn't my dad!) He suggested that people should watch An Inconvenient Truth... watch it critically, but watch it.

Tim White
Town Council, 4th District

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim, Gore's film is filled with scientific inaccuracies. If you do some research, you will find this to be true. Here is a great article on the subject...

http://www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/

Tim White said...

lotsa stuff there... i'll take a peek sometime, but not tonight.