Monday, January 29, 2007

Council on ETR

It's late, so just a quick post or two....

The first elderly tax relief meeting was held by the Council (budget & ordinance review) tonight. I thought the meeting went well. It seemed as though most members of the committees were generally in support (of many, if not all) of the recommendations.

My main reservations related to measurement and enforcement of various issues.

As well, I tried to be clear that I would be flexible on many aspects. That is, the tax relief committee recommended ranges of categories. In such cases, I'm open-minded to what others feel is best.

As I've said before, helping those in need is appropriate. In Cheshire, those most in need tend to be seniors. So I think doing something of this nature is appropriate.

Upcoming meetings: The next ERT meeting was scheduled for next week. However, that may be delayed. I'm gone all next week (I'll be stuck on a deserted tropical beach... life can be so unfair!) And the public hearing on ERT is tentatively scheduled for March 6.

Tim White
Town Council, Budget Committee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When you focus on how many diamond rings a person has, your focus is misguided. When the committe even discusses placing a cap on the cost to the Town their focus is misguided. Go ahead, place a cap on the senior tax program, that will establish a precedent for placing caps on spending. That is all that is needed and then us citizens will start placing caps on expeditures and driving a spending cap on the town.