Monday, January 08, 2007

$0.05 returns

There's more talk of expanding the "bottle bill" (Courant editorial). Essentially, this bill adds five cent deposits to water bottles. It would be treated the same as the already existing soda/beer bottle law. The main goal of the program would be to increase recycling and reduce litter.

I don't drink much bottled water, but don't think this would bother me much anyway. For the most part, I return my soda bottles on Saturday or Sunday afternoons... when there's always someone collecting money outside Stop & Shop or Everybody's... so I usually just drop my bottles, grab the receipt and give that to whomever is trying to raise money... people always seem to appreciate it.

I think if I were in the legislature, I'd probably vote for this bill. I figure you can get your money back, if you want it.

Any thoughts on this?

Tim White

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We should get rid of the bottle bill all together, instead we should just do curbside pick recycling. a majority of people don't return the cans any ways.

The supermarkets hate bottle returns with the cost of the machines, maintenance and pest problems.

The General Assembly would only entertain expanding it so they have more money in the general which they currently get $20 million in esheats.

So expanding the bottle bill will only lead to more government money in the general fund.

Tim White said...

What would be the cost of curbside pickup? Cheshire has it, but statewide... I know that some towns have nothing.

Anonymous said...

If it cuts down on litter and plastic use....do it....