Friday, June 19, 2009

Common Sense by Thomas Paine (17/53)

As I've previously discussed here, anonymity on the web and on this blog is appropriate. After all, our Founding Fathers hid behind pseudonyms routinely. In this ongoing piece, I'm highlighting one of the more famous anonymous writings from a Founding Father - Common Sense by Thomas Paine.

I challenge the warmest advocate for reconciliation to show a single advantage that this continent can reap by being connected with Great Britain. I repeat the challenge; not a single advantage is derived. Our corn will fetch its price in any market in Europe, and our imported goods must be paid for buy them where we will.

Tim White

P.S. In order to describe the events that took place in Tiananmen Square 20 years ago, I took a break from this 53 part piece on Common Sense. But now I'm back to it.

No comments: