Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The value of a vote

For anyone who has ever been curious about the "inner workings" of the Council, we had a lively email exchange over the past week that I wanted to share.

It started last Monday Aug 20 with an email from Town Hall staff:

To all,

After consultation with Matt Hall and Michael Ecke, the Budget Committee and Special Council meeting dates have been revised as follows:

* Monday, August 27, 2007, 7:30 p.m. - Budget Committee (jointly with Council) for review of CEP
* Tuesday, August 28, 2007, 7:30 p.m. - Budget Committee (jointly with Council) for review of CEP, if needed
* Thursday, August 30, 2007, 7:30 p.m. - Special Council meeting, including adoption of CEP

We will get the agendas out to you all ASAP. Thank you.

That was followed up last Friday with another email from Town Hall staff:

To all, Here are the agendas for the August 27th and 28th Budget Committee meetings (both in the attached document) - thanks.


Then there was this email yesterday morning from (one Council member) and sent to the Council and staff:

Why is the scheduled Tuesday special meeting being moved to Thursday? The fact that a Tuesday budget/council meeting remains on the schedule "if needed" tells me the Council can have the special meeting to adopt cap budget on Tuesday as originally planned.

We block out 2nd and 4th Tuesdays for Council meetings and schedule the rest of our lives on other days of the week. I have a conflict with Thursday 30th so I doubt I'll be able to attend Council meeting.

Please advise. Thanks.


Then I sent out this email yesterday afternoon:

I think we should stay with the original plan and vote on the capital budget on Tuesday.

Then there was this email from town staff yesterday afternoon:

To all,

Chairman Hall asked me to advise you all that my email of August 20, 2007 regarding a change in meeting dates was prompted by the concern that the Budget Committee would not have a quorum on August 27 (tonight) and might not have a quorum on Tuesday, August 28, 2007, since (one Council member) is due to return from a family trip late in the day on that date. Any delay in (that Council member's) travel plans that are out of (that Council member's) control (weather-related cancelled flight, for example) could potentially create a delay in the action on the CEP. Therefore, he felt it best to set a "date certain" for the full Council to vote on the CEP on Thursday, August 30, 2007. This also provides ample time for council members to review, digest and prepare comment for the council's vote on adoption.


Mr. Hall also asked that, in the future, you please notify him directly and in a more timely manner if you have any availability issues.

Thank you.


Which got this response from me yesterday afternoon:

concern that the Budget Committee would not have a quorum on August 27 (tonight) and might not have a quorum on Tuesday, August 28, 2007
huh? As Chairman, Mike Ecke set the meeting. So if someone simply asked me if I would be at those two meetings, wouldn't it be self-evident that there would be a quorum?

felt it best to set a "date certain" for the full Council to vote on the CEP.
Huh? What is meant by “full council?” It seems as though neither Tuesday nor Thursday will have all nine Council members. So, what's the benefit of Thursday over Tuesday?

From the voters perspective, I’d suggest that Tuesday would make more sense.

Ok, ok... I can't say that I really expected a response. But I do wonder... are the votes of each Council member equal?

Btw, I intend on attending all Council meetings this week.

Tim White
Town Council, Budget Committee

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like Zentek's corn maze is less complicated to negotiate.

Tim White said...

haha

Anonymous said...

Obviously there will not be much in citizen participation or discussion. One persons travel plans?

Anonymous said...

Tim...while you don't mind challenging the power structure...does it help you? Does it help your causes?

Anonymous said...

What's the required vote to adopt the capital budget? Is it a majority of the "whole" council - meaning you need at least 5 affirmative votes? Or if a quorum is called with only 5 members in attendance, would you only need 3 affirmative votes to pass it? - althought this wouldn't seem right. Does the council have certain written rules re: voting, or do they follow Robert's Rules?

Anonymous said...

Let me guess: the dems are worried they may not have all of their party members in attendance, so they're juggling the dates around so they'll be sure to pass the budget.

Tim White said...

9:04 I'm not entirely sure what you mean. But I'll say this... I always try to address issues in the most appropriate place... "offline" and one-on-one.

Most often, that begins with the Town Manager. If I ever feel as though there has not been a satisfactory conclusion, I would escalate the concern to the Council. And if I don't feel as though there has been a satisfactory conclusion there, I would escalate it to the voters.

That's what makes sense to me, but I'd be happy to listen to other approaches to resolving issues.

Anonymous said...

Half the voters in this town are sleeping. Wake them up will you Tim...