Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Capital bgt 8/28

The Budget Committee met tonight to recommend a budget to the Council. There were a few items that got changed, including the removal (or delay?) of the:

sewer plant long range plan - $150,000 (incl last yr's money, this exceeds the $350,000 referendum threshold)

In it's place, the "sewer upgrade/maintenance" was increased from $350,000 to $500,000. This was a concern for me because $350,000 doesn't go to referendum, but $350,001 does go to referendum. And my preference is to send items to referendum. So due to my concern, as well as a variety of other concerns, this will likely be a referendum question this fall for $500,000... while the "sewer plant long range plan" will not be in the current year budget.

There also was discussion about the long-term planning of the town and schools. There seemed to be bipartisan support for this idea with comments coming from Elizabeth Esty, Matt Hall, Tom Ruocco and David Schrumm. I agree. We should have a better idea of our long-term plan for infrastructure (buildings, roads, sewers, etc.).

The Budget Committee voted to recommend both the current year and five-year capital plans to the Council. Both votes were 2-1 (White opposed). I have concerns with the budget, all of which I mentioned during the budget committee meetings. I'll draft up my thoughts and share them on Thursday night.

Tim White
Town Council, Budget Committee

No comments: