Monday, February 19, 2007

Rte 42 III

As I mentioned here, the state DOT is not exactly forthcoming with answers to my questions... particularly my question "What criteria are used in prioritizing state road projects?"

Then today the NH Register reported (by Luther Turmelle) that

Milone said someone in DOT’s engineering department has told town officials that the work won’t be done next summer because the design work for the project remains undone and the money allocated for the $2 million project was reallocated. Public Works Director Joseph Michelangelo is scheduled to meet with DOT engineers within a few weeks to answer some questions that officials from the state agency have about the area, Milone said. DOT spokesman Kevin Nursick confirmed the meeting between DOT officials and representatives of the town, but was unable to provide any other information Friday about the latest delay associated with the project.
Huh? Unable to provide any other information? My letter was dated December 21 AND I've been asking the DOT about this project for two years now... yet they're unable to provide information on the latest delay?

Anyway, as I've mentioned here, at our December Council meeting I asked our state legislators to help us get answers, if necessary. And Michael Milone has been following up with them. So I'm confident we'll be getting answers shortly on how exactly the DOT prioritizes their projects. Then perhaps we can work with the DOT to avoid projects such as these where they simply throw taxpayer dollars down the toilet.

Tim White
Town Council, 4th District

p.s. In case I haven't mentioned it before, between the Rte 42 and the I-84 debacle, I do think people should be held accountable, including firing some people. Just today I heard the screwup on I-84 will cost $27million... can anyone confirm that? I'm not sure. But if true, IMHO, that's a sackable offense.

No comments: