Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Green buildings

With residential development being considered for the northend, I hope W/S thinks green. (Although, as I've mentioned before, I tend to doubt the residential happens.)

Here's a Courant article on a Bethany household with a green design. The basic idea is that green households are not only going mainstream because of environmental concerns, but also because they are cost-effective. This article mentions that houses are being built for $130/ft2. And for a 2,000 ft2 house, that would be $260,000 + land... and that's in the ballpark for a typical Cheshire household, I think. AND you get to save money on your electric bill over the long run.... then if we can just convince the developer to build their own mini power plant (even if for only the retail part)... fuel cells, windmills... doesn't matter to me. hmmm... ok... I guess I don't want to get to far ahead of myself....

Tim White
Town Council, Energy Commission liaison

No comments: