Saturday, January 03, 2009

DEP to study turf toxins

From NBC CT today:

Connecticut's Department of Environmental Protection says it will launch a broad study of the safety of artificial turf playing fields.

The DEP study will examine the makeup of the crumb rubber, and check air samples and stormwater runoff near the fields for potential contaminants.

Considering the current budgetary constraints being faced by the state and towns, I'm thinking it would make sense to delay this study.

Tim White

h/t to VF

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Considering the current budgetary constraints with the State and towns, wouldn't it also make sense for Cheshire to return the $525,000to the State - maybe the State can use it to save some worthwhile program for kids that otherwise may be on the chopping block?

sz

tim white said...

Be careful!

Councilman Turf may get upset!

Anonymous said...

Everytime I read about the Turf proposal for CHS, I am reminded of the expression: "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups..."

Anonymous said...

The study should not be delayed. The turf should be delayed, or permanently shelved.

Anonymous said...

Do we actually have the $525,000 for the turf?
Would this be considered one of those projects that since it isn't "shovel-ready" we won't get it?
Just curious....
Have we heard from the turf committee on how they plan on raising the rest of the money and how much it will cost?
I am amazed that those 2 issues have not been discussed with the public yet.
CYB is trying to raise $1m + for the fields and they are having a lot of problems. Those fields will probably be used by more people then the CHS field.

Anonymous said...

I am amazed that those 2 issues have not been discussed with the public yet.

The TC voted to accept the $525,000 from the state and allow the turf committee to move forward with their study. Tim can probably tell you the exact date of the vote. Bob Behrer on the BoE heads the turf committee and at one of their last meetings they were moving past the safety concerns and discussing the financial details. Bob hasn't given any updates lately at any BoE meetings which doesn't surprise me. You can email Bob at bob.behrer@gmail.com for more information.
Not only is the public not being informed of the status of the turf, but they never were even asked in the first place if we even wanted it!

tim white said...

Tim can probably tell you the exact date of the vote.

Regular meeting in July was one of the times when I got accused of grandstanding (for two hours)... on a vote for which there was absolutely NO need whatsoever.

I think the precise date was July 8.

Anonymous said...

The state should not be wasting any more money on turf or a turf study. All these people are out of control.

Anonymous said...

Where is the rest of the money coming from?

How much will it all cost?

Anonymous said...

Where is the rest of the money coming from?

How much will it all cost?

Anonymous said...

The rest of the money is supposedly coming from fund raisers. If they can't raise it all, I'm guessing they'll ask the BOE for the rest - would that surprise anyone?? You've heard this story - "well, they came this far with the study and the fundraising - we would hate to see all their efforts wasted - let's give them the rest of the money!"
Of course additional money will have to come from the BOE's budget for the maintenance of the field and when it needs to be replaced in 8 to 10 years, well, then they'll need another 1/2 million or so!