Monday, November 24, 2008

Avoiding a reinvention of the wheel on UHC in CT

From the WRA:

Hawaii has pulled the plug on its government-run health-insurance program for children after only seven months because parents who could "afford health care began to stop paying for it so they could get it for free," according to the program's administrator.

CT is losing its current House Speaker Jim Amann. And while Jim "You want turf? I got turf!" Amann annoyed me with his love of slush funds, he also suffered from one of the most comedic cases of foot-in-mouth disease that I've ever seen - an attribute I always enjoyed. In other words, I'm gonna miss his one-liners. But on the political front, he had another attribute that many of CTs moderates may miss. He also has a reputation for being a moderate Dem.

His successor, Chris Donovan of Meriden, does not have such a reputation. As such, I simply suggest the Speaker-to-be proceed with caution on issues, such as Universal Health Care.

There are now several states that have gone down this road. So hopefully, CT will learn from their experience instead of reinventing the wheel.

Tim White

No comments: