Sunday, June 24, 2007

50 years and counting

Being from the same high school class (CHS '57), my parents are often involved with their class reunions. And as you can see, they graduated high school 50 years ago this month! So it was no surprise to me that they (mostly my mom... she loves organizing parties) were involved again.

Anyway, as circumstances would have it... I ended up going to the cocktail party tonight for an hour or so and having a really nice time. And if you've been around Cheshire awhile, but think you wouldn't've known anyone there... think again... my parents' class always makes sure to invite old teachers... at least one of whom you may have known if you graduated from CHS before the early 80s.

Tonight I finally put a face to a name that I had heard for years... Bob Mischler (sp???). He came up from South Carolina to see his former students (he was a teacher in the early years of CHS). He told me an interesting story too.... apparently back in the early days of CHS ('50s), there was a concerted outreach effort on the part of the school administration to contact colleges and universities... to help them "get to know" CHS. In turn, a positive reputation was established with those schools. And that reputation continues to this day. Anyway...

Besides meeting people, one lifelong (north end) resident of Cheshire had a few pictures with her... and I thought they were really nice photos, so I asked to borrow them to upload them here. For reference, these photos were taken "post-April storm," but "pre-east side aqueduct collapse." And if you're like me and find the angle of the last photo a bit unusual... I was told these pictures were taken from a hot air balloon. Isn't that great!? I'd love to take a balloon ride someday.

Well... hope you enjoy!


Btw, the culvert/tunnel/aqueduct is again on the Council agenda for Tuesday... full agenda to come later.

Tim White

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such a beautiful pond right after the culvert. It has been enjoyed by kids and adults for over a hundred years. The last time I was there, there was a rope swing that the kids used to swing out into the water. The entire property could make a wonderful state park and wildlife sanctuary.

It is such a shame that this will all be destroyed.

Anonymous said...

The last of the series has found its way to my desktop background. I can't wrap my brain around the idea of pavement and some shrubs in place of that view when there's already so much development just a few miles from that spot.

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful but the developer only see green paper. What a shame. The people that sold this land must have been in financial hardship to let this be sold so cheap. This would be a great investigation.

Anonymous said...

I have walked this area and can say to all "it is beautiful". I guess the lyrics "they paved paradise to put up a parking lot" are especially true in this instance. It's really a shame.