Thursday, July 19, 2007

Inflow & Infiltration

I missed the bus tour tonight. It started at 5:30pm and I got out of work a bit late... and didn't make it to Boulder Knoll while the bus was still there. Then to complicate it, I only had cell #s for two people on the trip (Ecke, who was also stuck at work & Schrumm, who was on the bus). So as I tried to catch up to the bus, playing phone tag with David... I never quite caught up, unfortunately. However, since I made it to the Allen Avenue culvert, I was right near the sewer plant. And since the bus hadn't yet arrived at the waste water treatment plant, I got a personal tour from the WWTP Superintendent, Dennis Dievert (who is a real pro btw... really knows his stuff).

The most interesting part was not even part of the intended tour. I asked Dennis if I could peek inside the main building and noticed a computer monitor right inside the foyer. The following is a printscreen of the monitor: If you click on the image to enlarge it, you'll notice something I found interesting.

Keep in mind that the tour started at 5:30pm. And I got to the WWTP around 7pm. And in between, the skies opened and it was suddenly pouring! Then notice the times (across the bottom) and the "gallons per day" (to the left) spiking an average of about 700,000 gallons/day at around 6pm.

When I saw that, I immediately concluded that this was entirely related to an "inflow and infiltration" problem. And... I also noticed that the spike seemed nearly instantaneous... suggesting to me it's unrelated to sump pumps or anything that would require saturation of the ground. In other words... there's some open cracks in the pipes somewhere... somewhere where the rainwater leaks in directly without anything slowing its movement. Perhaps some storm drain piping is cracked and lying on top of some cracked sewer piping... effectively sending rainwater directly into the sewers?

Anyway, I think we're now "camera'ing" the sewers. Hopefully we'll soon find some ways to remediate this problem to some extent. (As for the ups and downs throughout the day, Dennis explained that as being due to the motors turning on and off... or something like that.)

Tim White
Town Council, Budget Committee

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim
I was up on Riverside waiting for you and you never showed up so I had to talk to the other council members
Forget it man you don't care
I am going to vote Democrat once again forget the GOP

Anonymous said...

The I & I problem was identified two years ago. At that time, Elizabeth "the sky is falling" Esty claimed that the council had not done it's job. So what has she and the Democratic majority done, in the two years since, to solve the I & I problem? A: NOTHING. Absolutely NOTHING.

Anonymous said...

You are very poorly informed. Maybe, insted of posting on this blog you should be paying more attention to what is going on!!!

Anonymous said...

"Maybe, instead of posting on this blog you should be paying more attention to what is going on!!! "

Right on! They are increasing the capacity by having EPA pencil in an additional 10% Why didn't they think of this sooner?

But, if they were really smart, they would have EPA pencil in another 50%, or is that too much at one time.

Another solution is to speed the %&$* through the plant faster. With some fine tuning we could probably triple the capacity.

Anonymous said...

Okay 12:41 - name me one thing NEW that has been done to solve the I & I problem??????

Anonymous said...

The rEpublicans when in control of the council did not one thing to address the I and I. As a matter of fact Steve "I will do what Schrumm tells me" Carroll says not one thing about the I and I problem while on the council then writes an article int he Hearald saying that nothing has been done and there is a big problem. make up you mind steve
the Dems are taking action and exposing the reps for a do nothing party
If you address the sewer problem you end up having to allow a little more develpment
No no says mr schrumm
no wonder he wanted Pelton on that bad

Anonymous said...

"the Dems are taking action"

This Dem Council is all talk and dirty tricks. They just want it to appear that the sewage plant can process all the W/S, hotel and residential crap. They sold out to the developers, that's the bottom line.

Anonymous said...

Anon 10:10 You are a very informed voter. One does not show up and your voting for the D's. Go ahead and vote for whoever you want but showing up late? Give me a break. These people do not get paid for this and have full-time jobs. Cut them some slack..