Sunday, December 03, 2006

Telecommuting: pros

Do you want a solution to help us:

1) reduce traffic on our congested highways,
2) reduce our dependence on Mideast oil,
3) protect the environment,
4) improve our health and
5) reduce government spending?

Sharing many of the same benefits of moving our cars from oil to alt fuels, telecommuting may be able to really help our state. Here are some of the telecommuting opportunities available to us in CT.

And some food for thought... if 10% of a job could be done at home (less than one hour per day)... is it that far of a stretch to say people could be working from home 1 day every two weeks? Reducing the traffic on our roads by 10%, reducing our gas consumption, reducing emissions, and reducing the amount of money wasted by the mismanaged DOT on road repairs?

As you could guess, I don't have any real information to support this. And I'm sure some jobs don't lend themselves to telecommuting (for example, dining services & snow plow drivers). But perhaps someone knows of a study that's been done? A study noting which jobs/industries are most adaptable to telecommuting; and which jobs/industries exist here in CT? Any ideas? I did some googling, but nothing jumped out at me.

I'd like to see what we could do right here in Cheshire to promote telecommuting.

Tim White
Town Council, 4th District

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to telecommute to Hartford.

My problem is any system that lets me telecommute to Hartford probably would let someone who'd work at 1/10 my salary telecommute in from Bangalore...causing me to be laid off