Monday, December 18, 2006

Dodd visits Lebanon

Senator Dodd is in Lebanon (AP) to discuss "the country's deepening political crisis" with the Lebanese leader, Fuad Saniora.

I'm sure our senior Senator has good intentions, but I wonder if he'll do what he really ought to do?

He should go knock on some doors and talk to some people on the street. I hope he does. He may actually learn something. Unfortunately, if all he does is speak with heads of state, I don't think he's going to learn all that much. He'll learn about as much as I would having conversations with the members of the Council, while not talking to anyone else in Cheshire.

My suggestion: he ought to head to Baalbek, "the primary center of the Shia population of the Bekaa Valley and one of the main training camps for the Hizbullah forces." (Wikipedia)

If Dodd is willing to leave his travel companions (bodyguards and such) and head to Baalbek to go chat with some people on the street... ask them about their concerns... ask them what they feel the US can do to help ease problems in the middle east... then he may take something away from his trip that could be a real benefit.

Seriously... what's the difference between "knocking on doors" in Cheshire or in Baalbek? Nothing. And if you want to remedy a problem, you have to understand someone's concerns. And the best way to understand someone is to listen. Unfortunately, I think when it comes to the middle east, most of our leaders are failing to actively learn about the problems at a grassroots level (how else do you win the "hearts and minds") and take action to remedy the problems. But we'll see what his intentions are... I'll try to call his office to find out his itinerary.

Tim White
Town Council, 4th District

And for what it's worth, I'm not suggesting the Senator do something that I wouldn't do myself. I've done exactly what I'm suggesting Dodd do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that town in the 2nd District, what's the big deal?

Anonymous said...

no big deal if he is kidnapped or shot...give me a break

Anonymous said...

5:36 I certainly wouldn't want any harm to come to Sen Dodd. And there probably are parts of CT that would be just as risky for him to visit.

As well, I sincerely doubt that he would be kidnapped or shot. I checked the State Dept website. It cautions against travel to Lebanon (particularly to Beirut and the Bekaa Valley), but Dodd is already in Beirut. So I doubt there would be any greater risk to him in going to Bekaa. As for any bodyguards (which I presume he has), I think they'd probably bring greater risk by drawing attention to him. He's not the President. I doubt anyone in Lebanon knows who he is.

Anyway, my point was that I hope he talks to people besides gov't officials.

Tim White

Tim White said...

5:36... on second thought... yeah. this one was a bit of stretch.