Thursday, December 14, 2006

Energy Security Leadership Council

I've been looking for more details about the group I mentioned in my "Compromise needed" post. And I've found their story.

The group organizing this effort is called the Energy Security Leadership Council (ESLC). The ESLC membership is here. There's some pretty important people included. I'd say the common thread of the members is one of two things: former military or current "transportation business" executives. (By transportation, I mean major shipping companies, such as Southwest Air, Fedex, Royal Caribbean and Waste Management.)

The ESLC is an outcrop of the group called Securing America's Future Energy (SAFE). SAFE describes itself as:

an action-oriented, nonpartisan organization that aims to reduce America's dependence on oil, addressing business and technology, politics and advocacy, and public education and media.
Most importantly, I found the report that was being publicized yesterday. It's an amazing report with some fantastic information. I hope the media pick it up, in turn, increasing public awareness. Without increased public awareness, this report may go the way of the dodo.

But based on what I saw in the papers today, this report seems all too similar to our CT State Police report. That is, by being delivered "during the holidays" and right after the ISG report... no one is going to be talking by the water cooler about it.

(And click here for my proposals for energy conservation (pros and cons) or here for my alt fuel proposal.)

Tim White
Town Council, 4th District

No comments: