Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Cheshire/Southington Fire Depts

I stumbled across this article (Courant, by Ken Byron) today. I know it's about Southington, but found it interesting as a comparison to Cheshire.

Southington has a population of about 39,000. Cheshire has a population of 27,000 (+ 2,700 prisoners for a total just shy of 30,000).

According to this article, Southington currently has 32 paid staff in their FD. And they want to add 3 firemen. In contrast, Cheshire has (I believe) 6 or 7 paid staff. That includes Chief Casner, the fire marshalls (2?) and some other staff... maybe a secretary? (The volunteer part of the department has over 100 firemen.)

I haven't compared Cheshire's FD to the FD of any other town. Nonetheless, I found this interesting.

Tim White
Town Council, 4th District

No comments: