Friday, December 22, 2006

Local federal topics

Congressman-elect Chris Murphy is pushing his agenda (MRJ, by Adam Wittenberg). My guess is that most of this stuff (such as minimum wage, college loans) will get signed. Although Bush is thankfully pushing back, asking for compromise to sign the minimum wage. He wants deregulation of small businesses. What Bush is saying makes sense. I hear it from small business owners about how burdensome some of the federal regulations are. And CTs minimum wage is already above the proposed federal level. So I’m guessing that (for the most part) CTs small businesses would only benefit from this proposal. Murphy is also pushing to repeal the billions of dollars in tax credits for Big Oil. I'm fine with that, but I really hope he reads the Energy Security Leadership Council's report on what we (America) must do to protect ourselves. (And for those of you haven't read it, it doesn't name names. But with statements such as "continued government inaction presents inexcusable risks," it is scathing.)

Meriden’s Staff Sgt. Frank D. Wuterich was
charged with murder (MRJ, by Steven Scarpa) in the Haditha killings in Iraq. I think Meriden’s Mayor Mark Benigni conveyed my sentiments when he said, "We are putting our soldiers in a chaotic situation and are expecting them to make quick life and death decisions. I feel for those who have lost their lives, but I also feel for our soldiers who aren't sure who the real enemy is." I don’t know Mr. Wuterich, but I can’t even begin to imagine how difficult it must be for all of our soldiers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bush is not pushing back on the minimum wage increase at all. He's willing to go with it in exchange for some other reforms.

Anonymous said...

get back to us when Murphy says something not pre-cleared by Pelosi and Emanual...I'm not going to hold my breath