Sunday, December 24, 2006

The neteffect

Here (AP) is an interesting article on the impact of the internet on politics. It discusses both the history and the future. From an historic perspective, it notes:

"Republicans have mastered e-mail as the new form of direct-mail campaigns, raising money and pushing a GOP message. Democrats have excelled at raising cash through small-scale donations and making the Net their version of talk radio."
I can attest to the Republican part. It seemed as though I got at least an email a day (often several per day) from Nancy Johnson for the two months preceding the election. I'm not sure how much benefit was derived from those emails though. I just put them on auto-delete. And I imagine I'm not the only one who did that.

The Democratic part is definitely true too. I'm convinced that Ned Lamont would not have gotten as far as he did without CTs homegrown blogs, such as My Left Nutmeg and CTLP.

And as previously mentioned, the article also talks about the future.
As candidates prepare for the 2008 presidential campaign, the Internet is the new Main Street. An estimated 70 percent of adults in the United States travel the digital highway, still a cheap and largely unregulated medium.
I'm sure that it will have an impact. The GOP lost its US Senate majority by only one seat. And with George Allen losing by a razor thin margin, I'm convinced that he and the GOP got "youtubed" with his "macaca comment."

But even before the 2008 Presidential is the 2007 local. I wonder what "neteffect" will be felt by our local election next year? I think it might have a real impact. And that would be a great thing.

On a personal note, I'm in the midst of trying to add a few new things to my blog, including video. I think we could have a lot of fun with video, adding Council subcommittee meetings and other items that might be of interest. I can already think of numerous instances of apparent hypocrisies or, at minimum, inconsistencies in the words of local pols.

And finally, if anyone is interested in spouting off here and would like to do a guest blog, please email or call me (439-4394). As long as you keep it respectful and interesting, I'd like to see you add your two cents on the homepage.

Tim White
Town Council, 4th District

No comments: