Monday, December 11, 2006

Local cooling

While many people are concerned about global warming, some American municipalities are taking it upon themselves to provide "local cooling." Here (LA Times, by Stephanie Simon) is an article about what towns and cities across the country are doing to try to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.

For our part, I'm hoping something will happen tomorrow when our Dept of Public Works meets with Clean Cities. Clean Cities is a program designed "to advance the nation's economic, environmental, and energy security by supporting local decisions to adopt practices that contribute to the reduction of petroleum consumption."

I'm hoping that Cheshire can take a relatively small step and move our petrodiesel engines over to biodiesel. My main concern with this possible conversion would be cost. But as I recently mentioned, biodiesel is nearly at parity with petrodiesel. So cost may not be a significant factor.

For a quick lesson on biodiesel, click here.

Tim White
Town Council, Energy Commission liaison

p.s. Diane Visconti has suggested to me the possibility of having a forum to discuss Al Gore's "Inconvenient Truth." I told her I'd be interested in doing it. For background, I haven't seen the movie... so I don't yet have an opinion. Would anyone be interested in this?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,

We have just launched a free product called LocalCooling. Please check out our website at http://www.localcooling.com

It is a small app. which controls the power on one, two or a network of PCs, therefore helping to reduce CO2 emissions emanating from computers. After 1 week, we have 13,000 users. Please help us to spread the Community - anyone with an XP PC can use it.

Regards
Hilary Rogers
hilaryr@uniblue.net