Friday, May 15, 2009

Ron Paul getting respect on Morning Joe

In the runup to the 2008 New Hampshire primary I spent quite a few days there volunteering my time for Ron Paul. At one point I was speaking with Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski. I recall saying something to Joe that he should be nice to my guy because Joe knew RP was a true fiscal conservative.

Anyway, when Joe heard me and recognized that he had recently said something not-so-nice about Dr. Paul... and when he got back to home to his former Pensacola Congressional district... he got an earful. Joe's own supporters made it clear to him that even if he disagreed with RP... he should be respectful of him. And Scarborough assured me that going forward, he'd be respectful of Congressman Paul. And that was good enough for me.

Anyway, fast forward 16 months and we see this fantastic eight minute clip of Joe & Mika interviewing the man I wish was President:



Joe lauds Dr. Paul for this quote:

"...the special privileges granted to Fannie and Freddie have distorted the housing market by allowing them to attract capital they could not attract under pure market conditions… like all artificially-created bubbles, the boom in housing prices cannot last forever. When housing prices fall, homeowners will experience difficulty as their equity is wiped out. Furthermore, the holders of the mortgage debt will also have a loss. These losses will be greater than they would have otherwise been had government policy not actively encouraged over-investment in housing."

- Rep. Ron Paul, address to the House Financial Services Committee, September 10, 2003


I also liked Congressman Paul's candid comments about how our local government federal government operates: crony capitalism, corporatism, big government.

Tim White

No comments: