Sunday, February 01, 2009

Courant questions Countrywide papers, I question judgment

The Courant continues peppering Senator Chris Dodd with questions about Countrywide. Again though, my gripe - why is get angry with bankers who bilked the bailout system?

He shouldn't get angry with them. He should be asking the DOJ to prosecute anyone who broke the law.

Oh wait... Dodd wrote the bailout law! And he wrote "the safeguards."

Is it possible his vaunted safeguards actually offered nothing... except for the usual hot air that America gets from The August Body of which he is a member? Is it possible that the bankers didn't break any laws?

Too bad for America, the bailout's chief architect didn't pay heed to the lesson he professed (on March 28, 2007):

But more than that, we need to stop allowing ourselves and our nation to be cowed by the Administration’s fear-mongering.

Sure, Dodd was talking about Iraq. But I guess Dodd never heard the adage - Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Tim White

No comments: