Saturday, September 08, 2007

Robert Newman's History of Oil

When I was recently knocking on doors, a resident recommended a video to me: Robert Newman's History of Oil. Both funny and fascinating, I now want to recommend it to you.

The basic idea is this... Robert Newman is a British comedian. In this video, he gives his view on 20th century geopolitics with a focus on oil.

I can't attest to the veracity of his claims, but I did check a few things against Wikipedia and he definitely has a basis for his story. I think most interesting to me was his claim that World War I began not as a result of the assasination of Archduke Ferdinand. Rather the genesis of WWI was control of the (Berlin to) Baghdad Railway.

The video is 45 minutes long, but if you find the time... I'm pretty sure you'll not only find it interesting, you'll also get a few laughs out of it.

Tim White

No comments: