Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Judiciary Committee bills

As the General Assembly's session is progressing, the various committees are passing on certain bills with "favorable recommendations" to the full General Assembly. Here's a few of the bills I found interesting coming from the Judiciary Committee (full list here):

AN ACT STRENGTHENING DRUNK DRIVING ENFORCEMENT

Click here to see the roll call. I was in disbelief when I saw Representative Pat "DWI" Dillon supporting this bill.

AN ACT CONCERNING INTERNATIONAL JURISDICTION

This bill's stated purpose is "to allow residents of this state to bring civil actions in Connecticut courts for tortious violations of the law of nations or a treaty of the United States." Huh? I'm no lawyer, but I could've sworn that our Representatives take an oath to uphold the constitutions of both America and Connecticut. And since the US Constitution notes "All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States... to define and punish... Offenses against the Law of Nations..." I can't help but wonder where the CT legislature gets the "legislative Powers" to try "violations of the law of nations." I mean, is this constitutional?

AN ACT CONCERNING THE PALLIATIVE USE OF MARIJUANA

I've never heard the word "palliative" in my life. But I'm pretty sure it's just a fancy way of saying "medical marijuana." Again, here's the roll call. Interestingly, while this passed overwhelmingly (32-8), Cheshire's two legislators (Adinolfi & Fritz) on the Judiciary Committee voted against this. Here's the actual text of the bill. I'm surprised that this bill hasn't gotten more attention.

AN ACT CONCERNING MARRIAGE EQUALITY

And here's the gay marriage bill, as well as the roll call which passed 27-15 (Adinolfi & Fritz opposed).

Tim White

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Judiciary Committee is stacked with liberals who think they ought to run society

Anonymous said...

Say what you like, Andrew McDonald is impressive!!!!

Anonymous said...

9:01, I think he has a partner, so it is way too late to try and start dating him

Anonymous said...

I just came back from Jamaica....lots of medication down there Mon!