Tuesday, March 04, 2008

WIREC 2008

Washington International Renewable Energy Conference 2008. wow.

I was surprised when I heard that Negroponte was speaking. Then yesterday I heard Woolsey was speaking. Then this morning... I found out the Colin Powell and the POTUS himself are speaking at this thing. So I guess I get to see W speak tomorrow. I actually had a chance about a year or two ago when he came to Bridgeport. I took a pass though, but this time I'm interested.

Anyway, aside from the people who are attending... this conference is pretty impressive. The people here are incredibly knowledgable and many can explain complex concepts in layman's terms... which is good for me. :) I finally found someone who could explain wind mills to me in very simple terms... translating the town's energy usage (12,000,000kWh/yr??) into dollars. The unfortunate thing was that I had several "wind experts" tell me that CT isn't a very good place for wind turbines. So I guess I'll be looking at photovoltaics (PVs = solar) again.

I also found an expert on anaerobic digesters (ADs). For those who don't know what an AD is... it's basically a machine that captures methane (we have lots of it at the sewer plant) and uses the methane (similar to natural gas) to power a machine that to generate electricity (maybe a microturbine or fuel cell??)... or... well... it's something like that. Bottom line though... I got excited when the girl told me that ADs are good for as few as 300 cattle... I figured 4000 houses must generate more *$&% than 300 cattle. Then she told me that 1 cow = 33 gallons of #^*%. So I'm not sure if that would work... something to investigate further... maybe I can find another AD distributor tomorrow.

The last type of renewable energy that jumped out at me today was geothermal. I believe BOE member Tod Dixon was recently advocating this in relation to the electric retrofit for the back 1/3 of CHS. I didn't get any info on it today, but will ask some questions tomorrow.

Aside from renewable energies, the most fascinating presentation for me today was a discussion on the auto industry looking at "plug-in" vehicles. They're mantra was "cool cars, green grid." (Cool = electric.) GM was there discussing about their plans for plugins.

Gotta run.

Tim White

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear him say "Its hard work"

Anonymous said...

I recall that one of the houses that Cheshire Interfaith Housing built recently (within the past five years?) utilized geothermal to help with the heating/cooling of its house.

Anonymous said...

Cheshire's own Martin Cobern has a letter to the New Haven Register, in the March 5 issue, page A8. He complains about George Bush's illegal spying on American citizens.

It's O'K for Mr. Cobern to write the P&Z response to the 21 approval criteria and the approval of the W/S Development application without the P&Z members public discussing the 21 points. It looks like two different standards apply. It's not right for the President to subvert the system, but it is O'K to do it on the local level?

Anonymous said...

With Bush speaking there will be more than enough hot air, blowing in the wind, not to mention waste to run the digesters.

Anonymous said...

1:01 I actually enjoyed Bush's comments. He even said that when he was running for President and signing a "renewable energy" (wind in TX) bill, one of his friends commented that if he got elected President, the goal would be doomed because all the hot air would've left TX!

ha!

I have some big differences with the President. But I give him credit for today's speech. He was defensive at times, but also enjoyed it at times. And one thing I really noticed... he was barely speaking from prepared comments. Most of it was from his heart.

Quod... thanks. I don't recall that, but will keep it in mind.

Anonymous said...

Good things happin in Cheshire
Good schools
Turf coming
North end shoppes
progress is a great thing
gotta love it

Anonymous said...

No I don't, thank you.