Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Progress on cost/benefit analysis?

A few days ago, I posted this:

After the meeting adjourned I had a moment to ask Matt Altieri if he supported my call for a nonpartisan cost/benefit analysis of the rainy day fund. But I wouldn't want to inadvertently mischaracterize anything he said, so I won't discuss our conversation here.

To which a resident called me and said "Tim, you asked Altieri a 'yes-or-no' question: In light of your recent letter, do you support a nonpartisan cost/benefit analysis of the town's rainy day fund? Did he answer yes or no?"

There should be an easy answer to that question, but there's not. Regardless, time will tell who supports this nonpartisan effort.

Personally, I'm still at a loss as to why the Council would prefer to collect $2,000,000 in taxes for the rainy day fund instead of spending $5,500 on bond insurance... when they seem to achieve the same goal... a AAA bond rating for our December '06 bond issuance.

Tim White
Town Council, 4th District

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it were so easy to get bond insurance shy doesn't every town do so and get the best rating?

Tim White said...

as far as I know, they do all buy bond insurance, including Cheshire.

Anonymous said...

Just ask the question in a Town Council meeting of all the members and Town Manager.

Anonymous said...

That sounds to simple. Let's hire a consultant and see what he/she recommends. What's the worst thing that can happen? Ask the citizens for more money if the town is short.