Monday, December 17, 2007

I want honesty and change

"What unites us is a love of liberty, and a determination to fix what is wrong with our country, from the Fed to the IRS, from warfare to welfare. But otherwise we are a big tent." - Ron Paul, on his recordbreaking one day fundraiser in which he received more than $6,000,000

And as one poster noted in a prior post, Ron Paul will be on Meet the Press with Tim Russert this Sunday (10am on Cheshire's Cox).

If you have the time, I sincerely hope you tune in... and mention it to your friends too. I wouldn't be surprised if he says some thing with which you disagree. But I'd be even more surprised if you don't agree with at least some of his thoughts.

For me, I think the main reason that I like him is that I feel as though he tells me what he believes... not what he thinks I want to hear. He doesn't pander. And I'm so sick and tired of listening to politicians, such as HRC, who seem to be so completely contrived... I'll never forget her line about not staying home to bake cookies.

To reinforce my disgust with Washington, when I got home from Town Hall tonight I turned on CSpan. And I learned a new word: eardrop. Based on the House conversation, it seems that an eardrop is an earmark that no one is supposed to know exists... apparently someone knows that earmarks exist... but not eardrops. Nope. Apparently no one, except the author, knows they exist. And tonight's bill had 300 hidden in it, according to Rep. Shadegg (R-AZ).

And our elected officials wonder why America is so disgusted with them and their "approval ratings" are down to 20%?

Just tonight I was having a philosophical discussion with Matt Hall on Washington. I told him... when I saw Chris Murphy about six months ago I really appreciated his support of pay-go. Then a month or two ago, I'm pretty sure that Congressman Murphy voted for SCHIP... but the tax increase wasn't included in it. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this... I could be.) And I'm thinking, huh? What's going on? I thought the Democrats were supposed to change Washington?

Seriously, I thought they would at least improve things by changing from a "borrow and spend" to a "tax and spend" fiscal policy. But from what I can tell... that's not happening. And that's what's so upsetting to me. Don't get me wrong... I like Chris Murphy. But what's going on in our country? And who is going to change things? It's certainly not the Dem Congress.

Anyway, that is one of the main reasons that I support Ron Paul. I want honesty and I want change. And yes, Ron Paul is a bit radical. But heck... considering how far offtrack (and institutionalized) things seem to be in Washington... a radical may be the only thing that can cause any change at all.

Tim White

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could remember the specific elements of the recent federal budget proposals, but my recollection is that Senator McConnell threatened to filibuster the Democrats budget proposal in part because it called for increased taxes to cover increased expenses. Now the massive budget proposal has the increased expenses but without the means to cover them. Very disappointing. The cost of the war continues to be an "off-line" budget expense that few seem to want to reckon with.

Anonymous said...

Tim - it's tough to change things there when the repubs won't let them get the tax portion of the tax and spend through

Anonymous said...

Quod & 11:50... blame McConnell. blame Boehner. Blame Pelosi and Reid. They all deserve blame. Bottom line to me is that pay-go should be enforced. To not use it is to continues the fiscal irresponsibility of the GOP for the past six years.

As for Murph though, my frustration is less with him and more with the leadership... or lack thereof.

Tim White said...

it's tough to change things there when the repubs won't let them

also... shouldn't blame the GOP for Reid's lack of leadership on defending that old phrase "no bill of attainder"

Props to Dodd on that one.