Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Term limits

I got an interesting letter tonight from a resident here in town, Ray Squier. I haven't read the entire letter yet (it's three pages), but did read the beginning... including the question:

"Is it time to again look at the town Charter for review, revisions, improvements?"

That question brought something to my mind... something that I had been considering for a while now, but had not really discussed publicly.

Term limits

I think we (the town) ought to seriously consider term limits for the Council. Personally, I think we ought to have term limits for all levels of my government: Washington, Hartford & Cheshire. But I can only have a direct impact on Cheshire.

How could we impose term limits?

We would need to revise the charter. Hence, the timing of this posting. (Btw, the last Charter Revision was completed in 1996. And I think it began in 1994. So I agree with Ray. It's been over a decade since we opened up the Charter. Regardless of term limits, I think it may be worthwhile to consider revising the Charter.)

Some general thoughts on how I would define "term limits?"

I wouldn't want to preclude someone from office forever. However, I don't see a need for someone to stay in office for more than say, six to ten years continuously. Then they could leave office for one term and return thereafter. However, in the meantime, we would have gotten some new people into office... people who may very well not run for office if they were to face an "incumbent." As well, I wouldn't want to backdate this rule. To simplify things, we could just "start the timer" today.

As for the much broader idea of "Charter Revision," for those of you who are unaware, Charter Revision is a significant undertaking. And most importantly, it means EVERYTHING is "on the table." That means we could:

1) move from a Council/Manager form of gov't to a Mayor... either strong (New Haven) or weak (Meriden, I think).

2) pay our elected officials (ha! I'd love to see how that goes over in the voting booth! It'd go over even better than Wooding Caplan did in Wallingford... I think that went down something like 6600 - 400!).

3) allow for split referendum votes... bifurcating the town budget from the school budget. (Personally, I think that would be great because it would be handing more power to the voters. Right now though, we can only have one "up or down" vote on the entire $90million budget. Splitting out various line items would be good for the town.)

4) revise the Council election cycle. (For example, we could change from four to three districts, change from two to three year terms and have three Council members up for election each year... putting all these changes together would help us comply with minority representation rules, as two at-large members would always be up for election.)

5) split the roles of Council Chairman and Honorary Mayor (I see no need to combine the roles.)

6) do all sorts of things.

I have some other ideas to broach if we revise the charter, but the single most significant idea I would support is term limits. (I don't like the idea of going to a Mayor. By having a Mayor, you centralize power. And that's fine with a good person in office. But I think Corrupticut has proven itself to have too many people who start to believe that they themselves are special, ultimately succumbing to temptation. Nope... I'd rather skip that possibility.)

Please comment on this. I really would like to hear if people like the idea of term limits or, more generally, a Charter Revision. (I found this Wikipedia page to be very useful in reviewing the supporting and opposing arguments.)

Tim White
Town Council, 4th District

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Term limits are a fantastic and long over due idea. No matter how good a public servant is, there comes a time when change is needed. After a while elected officials start serving an idealogy and not the public.
The Council/Manager government seems to need no change. Although maybe with term limits, a strong mayor could be considered. The problem with a manager is that that person only has to please the majority of the council ( in this case 5 people in town) to stay on the job. An elected mayor must be responsive to a far more people.
The council terms should be staggered as they are on PZC, Board of Education, etc. so there's always a mix of experienced and new (see term limits) members. The whole idea of district and at large council members seems a bit much for a town of Cheshire's size. Make them all at-large.
Calling the council chairman mayor is foolish. It's like calling the Board of Education chairman Superintendent. It should be done away with.

Anonymous said...

I am sure Mayor Bob would support you Tim, term limits for the longest running mayor in Connecticut is right next door.....maybe, since he supported you in the election he will support this idea too....

Anonymous said...

Redtown... my comments arise from me as a Cheshire voter. And I think Cheshire could benefit from term limits. I'm not speaking to other municipalities, states or national governments.

TW

Tim White said...

A12:22... I like districts. Three years ago I was elected in a district. I doubt I would've gotten elected if I ran at large. I never would've been able to knock on all the doors in town (I knocked on just about every door in the 4th district)... providing the voters an opportunity to ask me questions and decide whether they felt I would do a good job.

As for the Mayor title, it's unnecessary... Southington has a Council/Manager with no "Mayor." However, it does provide for a figurehead... someone to cut ribbons and such. Council Chair could do that. But I think it could be nice to have... just to give to someone who is normally around town and enjoys going to events.

Anonymous said...

I'm the original/ real "redtown" on this board, and I did NOT post the above comment! Maybe I need to register my blogger name so no one else can use it. Moral shame on the person who dishonestly used my blogger name!

Actually, I do not support term limits for legislative bodies (including Council).

There's some benefit in having a mixture of new-comers and experienced longtimers on a Council. The latter retain some "institutional memory" in the body. The voters still retain the power to vote them out.

I would tend to support term limits for executive positions (president, governor, strong mayor), but it should be by local option in the local charter in the case of mayor.

The reason I'd support term limits for executive but not legislative is because the executive appoints the bureaucracy. The bureaucracy (heads of agencies)needs to be changed from time to time to minimize corruption and entrenchment in the agencies which control budgets and personnel. This is not the case with legislators and Council members.

Anonymous said...

Tim
How could you have voted against the Pool Consultant? I have voted for you in the past but now...
We have to get control over the cost and the pool is not going away.
Look sharp at those meetings pal...

Anonymous said...

Term limits are non-sense.

Recruitment of candidates is hard enough without kicking them to the curb.

Tim White said...

"Recruitment of candidates is hard enough without kicking them to the curb."

I respectfully disagree. I feel as though I'm always meeting people who want to "get involved," including running for office.