Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Rte 42 delay

The Town Manager announced last night at the Town Council meeting that there's another delay in the Rte 42 reconstruction project. (And a quick reminder... the "reconstruction" project is entirely unrelated to the waste of money that was the "repaving" project that happened this past summer... both of which are happening on N. Brooksvale between Broadview and Rosemary.)

I wish I could say this delay was a surprise to me. But after all the runarounds, delays, changes of story, etc.... nothing really surprises me with this project anymore. So I did something last night that I should have done a long time ago. I asked the Town Manager to ask the State DOT for the DOTs list of projects in priority order. Also, I'll need to make sure he gets their list of criteria used when they prioritize their projects. After all, without a list of priorities and the related prioritization criteria, how could the DOT decide when a project happens?

Between money being wasted on Rte 42 and the I-84 debacle (and their storm drains to nowhere), someone really needs to be held to account at the DOT.

I may not have a full grasp of the situation, but it seems to me that we just keep throwing away our state tax dollars with that department. And that's money that could be better used on education or cutting taxes.

Tim White
Cheshire Town Council, 4th District

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"someone really needs to be held to account at the DOT." RELL!!!

Tim White said...

Yeah. I'm not sure what the deal is. Didn't she recently hire someone new to head the DOT? Is it possible that (s)he'll make things happen? I've heard bits n pieces, but I'm not sure of the whole story.

Do you know the background on the new DOT chief?

As well, I'm at a loss as to why the Legislature's transportation committee isn't doing some oversight here. It seems to me that this would be an appropriate use of their authority.

Anonymous said...

the new guy is a state cop with a history of being a good ole boy.