Thursday, November 16, 2006

Open forum 11/16

There were a few Council subcommittee meetings tonight. Discussions began on both:

1) the use of the Lassen property and
2) action to be taken on the P&Zs recommendation for the Strathmore dam.

The Record Journal had this interesting article (by Tiffany Aron) on "cadet teaching" in Cheshire's public schools. Cadet teaching is CHS students going to teach little kids in our elementary schools.

CL&Ps rate hike is here. (AP) They're looking for an 8%+ increase for Jan 1. If you're interested in saving money on your electric bill, click here. The company is Levco. I used them for several years, until I switched to clean energy last fall.

Cheshire's Senior Tax Relief Study Committee has begun its work.

The Herald had an interesting article (by Leslie Hutchison) about my fundraising. I think this only highlights why I've been calling for campaign finance reform and have personally thanked our legislators for having taken action.

Unrelated to any articles, I had an idea today for a possible way to virtually eliminate operating costs at the pool. As well, we may be able to avoid spending money on capital costs. The basic idea is this: get PVs (solar panels) from Sun Edison, then use that electricity to run a "hydrogen creation & storage facility" from Avalence. I have no idea if this can work, but I think it's worth investigating.

And finally, does anyone know who Murphy supported for House Dem majority leader? Hoyer or Murtha? And what does that mean to the CD5?

Tim White
Cheshire Town Council, 4th District

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim, I know you like to say the press is fair and balanced. But do you believe that article about "PACs" to be fair and balanced?

The purpose of the article was intended to be negative about you.

Last week they complain about "negative campaigning," then they run their own negative campaign against you.

And before you defend the liberal media, I'll point out that the article focused on where YOU raised money. While it said nothing of where NARDELLO raised money. So I decided to do my own "investigative journalism." I went to the Secretary of the State's website to see the campaign finance reports. It's true that you raised a lot of money from dentists. But I have no idea where Nardello raised her money, despite the law requiring candidates to include "occupation" on the fundraising reports. She could have raised 100% of her money from "dog catchers" but you wouldn't know it because she failed to properly complete her reports.

Tim, at least your open about where you raise money.

And one more thing, Sam Caligiuri raised five times the money you raised. Is that newsworthy? Of course not.

The liberal media strikes again! Not fair and balanced at all. When I stop to think about it, their agenda seems so transparent.

Tim White said...

anon... you raise an interesting point about incomplete campaign finance filings. Based on my experience though, many legislators fail to complete this section of the reports. And while I recognize this is an extremely time-consuming part of the campaign (I think most people who donate don't think in terms of providing the name of their employer... therefore they don't give you the info and you must therefore followup with everyone), it is an important part. And it's really unfortunate about the lack of disclosure. Because I have to assume that the whole purpose of this disclosure is transparency... so the press can investigate the "money." Nonetheless, many legislators don't follow the spirit of the rules (I'm really not certain of how to interpret the rules/laws... i think it's fair to interpret as a "good faith/best effort" thing).

For me though, the race is over. I'm not too concerned about all this. But it really is unfortunate that legislators don't take the time to complete their forms. The real losers with the lack of disclosure are the voters.

As for your concern about the "liberal media," Sam Caligiuri is fairly conservative. So I'm not sure how that would support your argument. But I do appreciate your support of me.