Monday, November 20, 2006

Pool consultant: $19,500

I missed the meeting. I didn't get there until 9pm and everyone was on the way out the door. But before they all left, I think I got the scoop.

The Parks & Rec commission voted this evening to recommend a consultant to the Council. The consultant is (and forgive me if I get this wrong... again, I wasn't there) Aquatica. And the proposed fee is $19,500. (I believe the other proposal, from Lutra Aquatics, was for $35,000 or so.)

Both are too rich for my blood. I'm hoping the fuel cells may save us enough dollars to keep the pool afloat. Or, perhaps, even better... my idea that I posted a few days ago about using Sun Edison and Avalence to virtually eliminate the energy costs of the pool.

And the other potential benefits of using Avalence and Sun Edison:

1) it moves us to real renewable energy (not just "renewable," as defined by the Legislature... seriously, how does one define natural gas as "renewable?")
2) it increases the public awareness about "the hydrogen economy." And that benefit would be priceless... because at some point our elected officials will wake up and recognize that we've run out of middle east oil.

Tim White
Town Council, Energy Commission liaison

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the register has an article on the pool today (nov 22)

Anonymous said...

The Rep Am has one too:

http://www.rep-am.com/story.php?id=15765

Anonymous said...

The consultant continues to be joke. The Town will get no new information on the pool. They will get an "expert" who suggests we remove the bubble and replace it with a building, what the original design should have been. There will be no suggestions for energy savings as a mechanical equipment design is not part of the consulting contract. This will be an additional contract is my guess. My other guess is we could have had a mechanial design for 2400.00 but he Dem's chose not to go that route. We will spend $19,000 get no new information, have to hire a mechnical deisgn consultant for who knows how much money to tell us it will cost millions of more dolars to fix the pool. And we wonder why the average person has no faith in government.