Wednesday, August 02, 2006

What was "exposed?"

My response to “Tim White: "Exposed"” (a letter in July’s Prospect Pages):

A letter by Ms. Sandy Dudarevitch attacked the integrity of my family members and made false claims about the 89th Republican convention. It turns out that she was my opponent’s coordinator at the time of her letter. How sad that his campaign has resorted to such scurrilous tactics.

Here are the facts. The delegates unanimously agreed to all the rules which were followed. Janet Finneran of Bethany, Chairwoman of the convention, can confirm this. Also, State Elections Enforcement Commission Director, Jeffrey Garfield, confirmed that no one in his agency commented on the convention, as Dudarevitch claimed. Indeed, she can not provide the name of anyone she spoke with in that agency. (See Garfield’s statement posted below ).

Voters would have been better served if Roger had agreed to debate me on the issues affecting real people. And I’ll still debate him anytime, anyplace. But instead of debating, his campaign tried to distract the voters with outrageous, personal insinuations against my family, which have proven to be false.

I’m proud of my mom and dad, Barbara and John White. My father and I don’t always agree on all issues, but he’s the most honest and honorable man I know. I’m forever grateful that my parents raised me to know right from wrong, and to always tell the truth.

I’m focused on presenting positive solutions to such problems as high taxes, the cost of living, $3 gas, energy prices, healthcare, needs of seniors, costly state mandates, and more. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Tim White
State Representative candidate (R-89th)
Bethany, Cheshire & Prospect
TimWhite98@yahoo.com


UPDATE
Jeffrey Garfield's email response to me:

Tim,

I have read both letters you forwarded me and have spoken to my legal staff. No one remembers ever speaking to Sandy, and our telephone logs do not show such an entry. My staff is very circumspect about commenting on anything that would fall outside our jurisdiction, and the process used in a nominating convention is governed by party rules, not state election law, and is therefore clearly not within our purview. I must therefore conclude that such a comment was not made by anyone here at the State Elections Enforcement Commission.

I hope this is responsive to your concern.

Jeff Garfield
July 14, 2006

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Dudarevitch's letter...
The Cheshire Republican Town Committee submitted the names of its five delegates (one of which is Tim White's father) by the deadline date.

The "substitute alternate" delegates included his mother and a childhood friend.


A stunningly clear validation of the truism "all politics are local".

This is as grassroots as it gets, and your opponent is reduced to criticizing family, and one family's values of supporting one of their own. Tsk-tsk, how pathetic.

Anonymous said...

In his letter in yesterday's Cheshire Herald, Kergaravat accused Tim of going "negative".

But clearly Roger's campaign was the first to go negative by attacking the intergrity of Tim's family....a poor substitute for a debate.