Friday, August 18, 2006

War & oil (part II)

As mentioned in a previous post, if Connecticut and America want to get serious and address our dependence on foreign oil, then we must act.

One action that we should take is to begin moving away from gas/oil and to alternative fuels. In order for business to do this, we should manufacture, distribute and consume these "alt fuels" in CT. But that begs the question, "can we do this?" And we are left with the answer "yes, we can do this."

Taking each of the three parts, one at a time...

Consumption

In fact, you may already be driving a "flexfuel vehicle" or FFV. (In order to find out, just click on this link to a national e85 (85% ethanol) website. You may need your VIN.)

And if you're wondering just how many FFVs are already on CTs roads, the number is nearly 30,000. Then there's another 34,000 biodiesel vehicles. (I'd love to get our schoolbuses converted to biodiesel. As well, in fairness I cannot vouch for the numbers on that website. However, I have seen late 2005/early 2006 hybrid numbers between 2,000 & 3,000. So the hybrid numbers seem reasonable to me.)

Tim White
State Representative nominee (R-89)
Bethany, Cheshire & Prospect
TimWhite98@yahoo.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tim,

Now I am aware that my vehicle is actually flex fuel capable, where in Connecticut can I fill up with it?? Answer.....nowhere!!!!! Please correct me if I am wrong.......

Tim White said...

Click here and you'll see that your are right. (It's an alt fuel locator for the US.) There are no e85 fuel stations in CT.

And even while there are other alt fuel stations, many are gov't run for gov't vehicles. So these maps may be a bit misleading.

One caveat, I can't attest to whether these maps are current. Regardless, I'm certain there are no e85 stations in CT. Gov't run or other.

Btw, did you check your VIN? You should. For example, some Taurus' are FFV, but not all. Although I'm pretty sure that other vehicles, such as the Tahoe, are all FFV now.

Anonymous said...

ok, now that we both have the ffv's.....what can we do to bring the stations to CT??? Is the fuel more expensive????

Tim White said...

gas... I'll do a post on that in the near future.