Wednesday, June 28, 2006

West Main Street

I picked up a copy of the Waterbury newspaper today and saw an article (by Lauresha Xhihani) about the West Main Street streetscaping project... the project that relates to the $500,000 recently secured by State Rep. Al Adinolfi.

At first, I was a bit surprised by the article, but then remembered that this project had started in the Planning Committee (when I was Chair), perhaps two years ago. And maybe I should have spoken up more then (I'm sure I voiced some concerns), but didn't speak out that much. So now I just have to say that I'm willing to revisit the proposed project, but can't imagine spending an additional $300,000 in local tax dollars on top of the STEAP (Small Town Economic Assistance Program) grant money.

As long as we can get rid of those Jersey barriers and the big yellow barrels, I'll be pretty happy.

Tim White
Town Council, 4th District
TimWhite98@yahoo.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The idea of spending 300k on this project turns my stomach. We have yet to solve the pool issue. As of right now the tax payers are funding (an unfunded mandate) the pool, 400-500k per year. This 300k either will be capital or operating dollars, most likely capital dollars. We are not finsished with the new roof on the high school, 900k, the fire boys want an addition to the South End firehouse, 1,000,000, rumor is to fix HumistonSchool is in the miiions of dollars. What else is there we do not know about yet?

Here is a novel idea. The Town Council should list out and publish in writing and at the next Council meeting, how many dollars, both capital and operating is being looked at that has yet to be voted or approved. This number should be constantly updated and published for all of the taxpayers to see. It should also be broken down to a per household cost, that is potential increase to the tax burden.

What a novel approach, tell the residents what the extra tax burden will be for all of these things for the future.

Anonymous said...

I didn't see any more recent references to this issue so I had to post here. I did watch the TC meeting on 8/1/06 and I'm a little confused or should I say, I have a few questions:
How is this going to increase foot traffic? Foot traffic to where??
As I understand from the meeting of August 1st, the grant is for the space between Deepwood and Grove. Not a very large area to try to bring in new businesses.
I don't see people walking to Lyon Billard, Anderson Tire, Strollo's - will these businesses be pushed out to make room for more "foot friendly" businesses?

Second issue (unrelated but there are no recent posts form the 8/1/06 meeting) - $10,000.00 for fireworks? I understand this is a big event in town, but as I recall, they were only asking for 5K! How does that happen?