Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Energy Commission 6/26

The Energy Commission met tonight. As usual, there was lots to discuss... beginning with the schools. And I'm happy to say that (for perhaps the first time ever) the EC feels it is getting real input into the capital budget process... before the capital budget is created, not after the fact... when it is usually too late to have any significant benefit. Those comments were music to my ears, particularly since this year's capital budget is near $2,000,000 for the schools' energy projects alone.

As well, there are a host of other projects being reviewed by the EC for inclusion in the capital budget... and not just the normal town buildings. The EC has gotten so active, they're now involved in improvements for the Historical Society (Hitchcock-Phillips) House. I believe that just tonight they recommended $40-50,000 in energy efficiency improvements for that house, with an ROI of 15 years total for all aspects of the project. Although some aspects have a quicker payback. (And if you're interested, my understanding is that the Town owns the Historical Society House, but the not-for-profit Historical Society leases the house and pays the heating bills.) Anyway, my point is simply that the EC is really doing some great work. I'm just glad that people are finally listening to them.

The pool was discussed. And what's to say? I added my two cents which was simple... I believe that if a referendum was held today to put a building over the pool (for energy conservation), it would fail. And that has little to do with the merits of any project. I feel it's simply that the townspeople have no trust in the Council when it comes to the pool.

Clean energy (Record-Journal, by Andrew Perlot) made headlines again recently. And with 74 households already participating, we only need 26 more households to sign up and the town will receive a free photovoltaic array (solar panel). Also discussed was the Bethany/Cheshire competition. With a prize on both sides (horseback riding in Bethany & pool use in Cheshire), I'm hoping our friendly competition comes to fruition sometime in July.

I know there were lots of other things discussed, but that's enough for now. Again, I'm just glad that things seem to be moving in the right direction... that our public officials are starting to recognize the importance of energy. And they are starting to take action.

Tim White
Town Council, Energy Commission liaison
TimWhite98@yahoo.com

(btw, I spoke with the Meriden reporter, Andrew Perlot, last week. The Meriden reporter who had been covering Cheshire, Caroline Porter Misarski (sp??) recently left. Andrew is new to the Record Journal and may be covering Cheshire. Best of luck to you Andrew!)

No comments: