Friday, June 09, 2006

Open Forum 6/9

Cheshire's student activity fee has been eliminated (NH Register, Luther Turmelle). I believe that Jimmy Sima, a BOE member, has been advocating for this.

Bethany's parade/carnival continues this weekend. One of the booths will include their Clean Energy Task Force. They will have participation forms available.

I don't have it in my planner, but I'm pretty sure that Cheshire's Strawberry Festival is scheduled for tomorrow on the green. (I know it's that time of year.)

The Cheshire Relay for Life starts this afternoon and continues through the evening and into tomorrow. Here (Cheshire Herald) is the schedule. Visit the high school to join in the activities. I'm a bit surprised... I haven't had one person ask me for a donation for the Relay yet.

As it has already been mentioned a few times on this blog, the Cheshire Land Trust has received an extremely generous donation (Cheshire Herald, by Kristen Malinowski) from Betty Ives. 164 acres is a lot of land.

And it appears as though the town will be receiving a $500,000 STEAP grant (Cheshire Herald, by Kristen Malinowski) for improvements to West Main Street. I'd love to see us get rid of those jersey barriers and big yellow barrels, replacing them with sidewalks.

Anything else going happening?

Tim White
State Representative candidate (R-89)
(Bethany - Cheshire - Prospect)
TimWhite98@yahoo.com

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where else on your blog is the ives farm mentioned?

Anonymous said...

Isn't it the "participation fee" that was eliminated? It used to be called the "activity fee" but they changed it to "participation fee"...as if there is a difference! Glad to see that it's gone. Yes, Jimmy Sima, has worked to eliminated the fee. I believe he also wants to reduce or eliminate the parking fee. Maybe with all the retirements (17 total), and the year-end shifting of funds, the boe's finance committee could cut or eliminate the parking fee at their upcoming meeting on 6-15 (Humiston 7:30 pm).

Nice to hear that the town is getting a 500K grant to improve West Main St.

Whatever happened to the silly grant request for that turf field?
Maybe when the new football coach takes over and turns things around, people might be more supportive of the idea, but for now it should stay on the back burner.

Tim White said...

anon 11:35am...

The Ives Farm has been mentioned twice in the past week. But I was partly wrong in my post. Here the generous donation is mentioned. But this was the only time that the donation was mentioned.

Last week, this reference was made to her farm, but it had nothing to do with the donation.

So I wrote too quickly. But I've only got a few minutes in the morning before I have to run off to Bridgeport to my real job. And I like to get stuff posted, particularly the Herald articles. Those are definitely what most people talk about on the weekends. And thanks for questioning me on that. When I read it again, I realized it needed clarification.

Btw, feel free to email me whenever you'd like. You may get a quicker response than asking a question through the blog.

Anonymous said...

Actually, Tim, it (Ives Farm) was mentioned more than once....along with a comment about Bishop Farms, too, prior to knowing what Mrs. Ives wishes were. It was speculation on what would happen to the land. But it apparently is no longer on the blog. I looked for it myself and couldn't locate it.

Tim White said...

I'm sure it's still on the blog... but more than a week old. I recall the comments, but can't recall the blogs where it would've been mentioned.

Thus far, I've only deleted one real comment because it was attacking people. As well, I've deleted a few spam comments. But that's it. Although authors can also delete their comments.

Tim White said...

anon 10:44pm... not sure where the turf field sits. I recently heard that it got through the committee process as school construction. (Although I'm really not sure if that's true.) If so, figure your state tax dollars pick up 38% or so of the cost. The other 62% would come from somewhere else... your local tax dollars maybe? Or perhaps local fundraising? I'm really not sure.

I'll say this about the artificial turf though... I've asked for "real numbers" on the turf from one of the strongest advocates, once last August and again in January. And I've received nothing. So I have to assume that this is not a serious idea.

Anonymous said...

Re: the turf field - I just hope if it's passed through a committee as a "school construction project" that it doesn't somehow get slipped into the 5 Year Capital Budget. If the State picks up 38 or 39% of the cost that would likely mean the taxpayers would get stuck for the rest. They can promise fund raisers to cover it, but I wouldn't bet on it happening.