Thursday, June 15, 2006

Weekend Open Forum 6/15

I've already heard from people who are upset with me about voting for the pool appropriation. (Cheshire Herald, by Kristen Malinowski) The frustration level of many people in town is high.

I set up a meeting for the Route 42 reconstruction project for last night. Unfortunately, not only did neither of our state legislators attend (in fairness, they told me a while ago that they would not be there), but the DOT cancelled on Tuesday, after letters went out to residents. Nonetheless, I think the meeting (the first in a year and a half) was worthwhile. And I think it probably helped catch the DOTs attention.

The Cheshire Board of Ed has 17 teachers retiring (Cheshire Herald, by Shannon Becker) And the usual number used during budget season estimates for cost savings related to retirements is $20,000. So if that's the case, and if the schools estimated eight retirements (that's what I recall), then the BOE just had a windfall of $180,000 (9 x $20k). And I think the activity fee and parking fee come to about $100-150k. I wonder if the Board would be interested in giving the balance to the pool fund? Or perhaps dedicating that money to energy conservation? Maybe dedicate the balance to buying energy-efficient kitchen equipment?

Simsbury school officials are trying to stop underage drinking. They went so far as to begin using breathalyzers at their senior prom. I'm not sure what Cheshire has done beyond this proclamation, which was a Council (not BOE) resolution.

I found this article (Waterbury Rep-Am, by Chris Gardner) on home heating oil costs to be interesting and useful. In fact, I was just recently contacted by F&S Oil. They simply asked me to try to increase public awareness about the option of "pre-buying" fuel. This could help people avoid major price spikes, as well as assist in budgeting. I think both could be helpful.

And in a final reference to Flag Day 2006, Sotheby's auctioned off some Revolutionary flags. A Sotheby's representative described them as "inspirational, an extraordinary window into the birth of our country... something that has a great deal of spiritual significance." I can only imagine what the flags meant to the men who carried them.

I've been reading more and more about Lieberman's possible independent run. The most interesting factor for me is not that Lamont is closing in the polls, but that Lamont's supporters seem to be passionate, while Lieberman's supporters (within the Democratic party) seem to be practical. And if the issue is Iraq, then that makes perfect sense. I think the passion could make all the difference on August 8th.

Bethany resident Robert Gagne was just appointed the new Orange Police Chief.

Tim White
State Representative candidate (R-89)
Bethany, Cheshire & Prospect
TimWhite98@yahoo.com

6 comments:

Tim White said...

Here's Lieberman's newest TV ad:

http://www.joe2006.com/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=30&page=view&catid=8&PageNo=1&key=2&hit=1

Anonymous said...

Tim, you need to get a set, should have voted no on the appropriation for the pool. By voting for the funding, even though it is after the actual spending fact shows you are not serious about working to solve the pool issues. Like the others, hoping thre new pool consultant will provide a solution, which they are not capable of doing. The the Council implements the proposed solution, it will fail, no extra revenue will be generated and only one thing will have changed, lost votes for your political career.

Tim White said...

anon 8:37pm... have I said that I support the pool consultant? I don't recall having said that.

Anonymous said...

It's not whether you said you were for or against a pool consultant. The fact of the mater is you claim you are against spending more moey for the pool yet you vote to spend money for the pool you're all talk, talk, talk and no action.

Tim White said...

As I mentioned in a previous post, I asked if the Council could delay paying the bills and simply pay for this year's bills out of next year's budget. And I was told that would be illegal. So it seemed to me as though I had to vote for the appropriation.

Anonymous said...

I understand why you had to vote "yes" on the additional appropriation. As you said, it's for incurred expenses and the bills have to be paid. What I don't understand is why the council majority wants to spend $20K plus on a pool consultant. What the pool needs, and I realize it would cost more money to do, is a pavilion (for shade and picnic area), and a food station (so people could buy lunch or dinner). There is a pavilion over at Bartlem (maybe it could be moved closer to the pool). Use the consultant money to make these changes. If there's any money leftover (or maybe we could apply for grant money) then a couple of tennis courts would make it more attractive too. Then we can charge higher memberships fees as it would be like many of the "pool clubs" in the area (like Copper Valley or Paradise in Hamden).